Sunday, April 11, 2010

North Carolina Part 2: So about West Virginia...

There is something I feel I must interject here. I have never been in West Virginia. Therefore, I never had an actual opinion of West Virginia. I now have an opinion of West Virginia. First of all, its beautiful. Mountains, mountains, mountains. Not like out west mountains, but big enough. The local trees are deciduous in nature…something I found surprising. Also, I found all the rock exposed by digging a path for the highway fascinating. It was black mostly, and on the day we were driving through, mostly wet, like the mountains were weeping. I also found out there are nearly 2 million people in West Virginias, and for the life of me, I have no idea where they put them. One mountain pretty much runs into another, and the people tuck their houses and farms into the crevices left were the feet of each mountain meet. Jennie (Whom we were goignt o visit) said she ahd a friend who was from WV who described it perfectly. Her friend had said she grew up “in a holler in West Virginia. Then again, everyone in West Virginia grew up in a holler.” Even Charleston, the capital, wasn’t all spread out and metropolis-y like one would think. It was “holler-ized” as well. You hardly felt like you were in a city. This was a rest area we stopped at:


It also surprised me that Virginia really was so different from WV. The mountains became more rolling (up until the plateau as we went into NC…the descent was gorgeous in to the valley!) and the rock went from black to red. And I mean southern Utah red. Totally shocked me. Also apparently the people in VA don’t like to slice away their mountains, they prefer drilling through them. Note to self…taking your sunglasses off in a tunnel always makes the tunnel seem a little less dark.

Here’s the interesting thing…the closer we got to Greenville, the more the terrain looked familiar. My kids kept commenting how it looked like we were back in Ohio…flat, flat, flat. We got to the Jones house about 6:30, ate supper and our NC adventure began.





No comments:

Post a Comment