Saturday, October 23, 2010

Saturday Morning Conversation

I’m at the computer, and Ashlyn comes running in. “Mom! Conner just called me a stink!” “Okay, so what do you want me to d about that.” Pause. Little voice. “Give him consequences?”

Obviously we have been focusing a lot on consequences of choices here in our home lately J

So I continued.

“What do you think his consequences should be?”

Pause.

“Grounded from playing with a friend?”

“For calling you a stink.”

“Yes.”

“Well, that’s fine, but whatever you choose for his consequence is the same consequence you have to take for yourself next time you call someone a name.”

Pause.

“How long would I be grounded from friends?”

“Just one time. So, the next time Hannah and Kristina come and ask if you can play, you can’t.”

Pause.

“Oh.”

Pause.

“Grrrrrrrrrrrr….”

“Are you growling at me?”

Pause. Smile.

“Grrrrrr…”

Smiling. Running off into the kitchen.

Me, watching her go back to the kitchen table.

Pause.

“Maybe he should say he’s sorry.”

Conner, “I don’t want to!”

“Why?”

“Because I don’t know how to sing a song!”

“No Conner. Say you’re sorry. Not sing a song. Say, Ashlyn, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have called you a stinky.”

Conner smiling.

“Ashlyn I’m sorry and I should always call you a stinky-poo.”

Laughter.

“Conner! Say it right, or you will NOT be playing Wii for the rest of the day.

Pause. Sobering his face.

“Ashlyn, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have called you a stinky-poo.”

Laughter.

Ashlyn grunts and points at Conner.

Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment