Friday, May 25, 2012

Decisions...

So I have loved my job at United Way in Wood County the whole time I've had it. Downside; $12 and hour and 15 hours a week was the max. Not exactly enough to make a family run. I needed a full time job. I knew it. And so about February, I started actively looking.

And there were quite a few fish that bit. In a 2 month period I had applied and interviewed for 5 jobs. I was always a top candidate, but never THE candidate. One job I was told I could have and then it was rescinded because of changes in funding. Tis' the life of someone who has chosen nonprofit.

I was frustrated. And I began to wonder if maybe, just maybe, I was doing the right thing but looking in the wrong place. So one weekend, mostly out of despair and desperation, I looked to see if there were any jobs available in Utah. Its really the only other place I would live since my situation necessitates family and support be close by. I browsed a bit, and half heartedly applied for a position at United Way of Utah County. Seriously, I really didn't care. Worst. Cover. Letter. Ever.

But 2 days later, as I was pleading with the Lord for a neon sign to appear above the path I should take...I got an email from their COO Summer. She wanted to know if I would relocate, and we set up a skype interview for Friday. We skyped late in their day on Friday. By Monday at 9:30 their time, I had been offered the position. I found out later from the person who hired me that they had closed the position a week before, and interviewed several people. But they just weren't excited about any of the options. And then my resume came across he desk. They knew I was the right person.

It all got a little crazy after that. But it was crazy in a controlled way. Everything that needed to happen, just kind of fell into place. It took some effort, but the answers were there waiting to be found.

First off, they wanted me there in a little over 2 weeks. I needed to start May 7th. This was obviously an issue for the kids since leaving the last 3 weeks of school and trying to catch the the last 3 somewhere else seemed lame. Long story short, it was decided they would stay with my parents while I scouted ahead. We decided the best plan was for me to return on June 29th, let Ashlyn be baptized, and then head out to Utah with my parents. I worked on giving them power of attorney, filing an intent to move for Paul, and getting things settled and together so it was easier for my parents to take care of the kids. We got the flight in place, and I made plans to live with Garrett while I looked for somewhere suitable.

It was a whirlwind; but I felt so much peace. I knew it was the right thing to do for our family. It was a major change, and somewhat overwhelming, but somehow...it all worked out. I found a condo to rent. I think the car situation is worked out. And every time I thought I hit a barrier, if I stopped and looked a little further...a window or door opened up to show me the way.

And the bonus is; I love my job. With my education and personality, it is right up my alley. Whenever I'm at work, I know its where I'm supposed to be. I've been having a ton of fun with my brothers. I really love them. And I've been able to get closer to my sister Amy, which is a bonus.

I'm waiting for the rest to settle in and feel more familiar. I think it will when I get my kids and we find a routine and start going to our ward. And when I have transportation. I'm not a fan of being stuck at home, alone, no car, no T.V. But maybe I'm supposed to learn something there. Like inner peace.*shrugs*

No comments:

Post a Comment