Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Everyday Heroes

I'm not going to sugar coat it. Being a parent is hard work. For those of you who are already parents...you know of what I speak. For those of you who are not yet parents...well, you have been warned.

I'm also going to just throw this out there...being a single parent is even harder. I do it all alone. And I am far from a perfect person and a perfect parent. And more times than not, I need help, The Lord is so good to me, and He provides it often, in unexpected ways large and small. And most often, those blessings come through people around me that turn into my heroes for that day,

A few weeks ago, my hero was my daughter Maryn. It was the week after we arrived, and I was exhausted. Besides recovering from a brutal cross country drive, I was back to work full time, organizing a home and trying to be as mentally stable as possible for 4 little hearts and minds who needed that from me at that moment. One night, I was just so tired that I went to bed at 9:15, completely ignoring the untidy kitchen and living room and simply admonishing my kids to remember to go to bed. When I got up in the morning, my sweet, sweet girl had cleaned the entire kitchen. It lifted my spirits immensely.

Today my hero was my aunt. She called me in the early afternoon, concerned about my kids coming home from the first day of school to an empty house. This had never happened to them before. All of their lives I had been able to be home to greet them when they got home; to hear about the good and bad and rejoice in the good moments and offer support and counsel for the bad ones. And this year, I simply couldn't. My new job made it impossible to be there for them in the way I wanted to, and I hated it. She came to my house, and was there when they got home. She took them to a pond to feed ducks and then for shaved ice. I was so grateful for her time, her thoughtfulness and kindness; that she was be there for them when I couldn't.

From left; Conner, Sage (my cousin), Paul, Maryn, Jeneca (Paul's friend) and Ashlyn at the duck pond

This task that has been left to me would be impossible without my everyday heroes. So thankful for them all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment