Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Trip to Utah: Conner's Baptism

It was one of those days that was a very good day: a jewel of moments in my life. It was extraordinary to see so many people there: people who have been a part of my life, there now to join with us and celebrate with Conner as he took the step necessary to begin the process of building the most important relationship of his life: the one with his Savior. There were about 75 people there...and the spirit was incredibly strong. Conner, the day after, told me it was the best day he had ever had. And in the weeks after, he has said the same thing over and again. And although its true he got a lot of attention and a fabulous Wii, what he recalls with perfect clarity is the love he felt; from our Heavenly Father, the Savior, his own father from the other side AND the power of the love of those who gathered to be with us on this day. Here are some pictures from those special moments:

My Aunt Lisa and cousin sage pose with Conner and th gift they gave him: a special white towel to dry off with embroidered with his name and the date.
Conner was baptized by Dave's older brother, Aaron (who also baptized Maryn)
All ready to go!

The worthy priesthood holders who stood around Conner as he received the gift of the Holy Ghost.
From Left: Gary Broderick (great uncle), Ben Curtis (uncle), Aaron Cameron (uncle), Vaughn Thacker (grandfather), John Cameron (grandfather) Conner, Bryant Thacker (uncle), Kent Cameron (uncle), Garrett Thacker (uncle)

My youngest brother Garrett confirmed Conner. He kept saying he was worried about getting through it in English since he had never done it in any other language then Portuguese. He did great!

Quote: "Mommy, I want everyone to know I will make good choices now, because I am part of the gospel."
He described the experience later:
"I couldn't stop smiling when I went into the water. I felt so happy!"

Here is the program:

Presiding:

Bishop Gary Broderick (Great Uncle)

Conducting:

Bishop Gary Broderick (Great Uncle)

Pianist:

Becky Broderick (Great Aunt)

Chorister:

Clarine Downs (Great Grandmother)

Opening Song:

“When Jesus Christ was Baptized”

When Jesus Christ was baptized
Down in the River Jordan,
Three members of the Godhead
Were present there in love.
The Father spoke from heaven
When Jesus Christ was baptized;
The Holy Ghost descended
As gently as a dove.

And now when I am baptized,
I’ll follow his example—
Be baptized by immersion
Through sacred priesthood pow’r.
Then I will be a member
Of Heav’nly Father’s kingdom
And have the Holy Spirit
To guide me ev’ry hour.

Opening Prayer:

Erma Cameron (Grandmother)

Talk :

Paul Willis (Brother)

Paul spoke very simply but eloquently to his brother directly about being baptized and being a member of the church and repentance while Conner listened attentively.

Musical Number:

“I Know My Savior Loves Me”

Maryn Cameron (Sister), Heather Cameron (Cousin), Sage Bearnson (Cousin)

They sang so incredibly beautifully! And they looked like angels!

Baptism:

Ordinance performed by Aaron Cameron (Uncle)

Witnesses

Vaughn Thacker (Grandfather)

John Cameron (Grandfather)

Interlude: Becky Broderick

Confirmation:

Ordinance Performed by Garrett Thacker

Circle

Gary Broderick (Presiding), Vaughn Thacker (Grandfather), Bryant Thacker (Uncle), Ben Curtis (Uncle), Robert Downs (Great Grandfather), John Cameron (Grandfather), Aaron Cameron (Uncle), Kent Cameron (Uncle)

I don't remember much of what was said, but I do remember Garrett specifically telling Conner his Father in Heaven and his own father loved him very much.

Talk:

Chiara Cameron (Mother)

I bore my testimony about relationships, how the word revolves around them. And how the most important one was the one we create with our Savior. I sang a song called "Perfect Love". I couldn't even look at anyone since I was so close to weeping anyway. Somehow, with the support of the spirit, I made it through, but even as I sang with my eyes closed, I could hear others crying. Later, someone told me nearly everyone had shed tears. The next day, Conner told me he loved it when I sang that song, and that he cried. i asked him if he knew why he had cried. He smiled and answered, "The Holy Spirit in my heart."

Closing Song:

“Families Can be Together Forever”

I have a fam’ly here on earth.
They are so good to me.
I want to share my life with them through all eternity.

Chorus
Fam’lies can be together forever
Through Heav’nly Father’s plan.
I always want to be with my own family,
And the Lord has shown me how I can.
The Lord has shown me how I can.

While I am in my early years,
I’ll prepare most carefully,
So I can marry in God’s temple for eternity.

Chorus
Fam’lies can be together forever
Through Heav’nly Father’s plan.
I always want to be with my own family,
And the Lord has shown me how I can.
The Lord has shown me how I can.

I couldn't even sing the closing song. I looked over at my son, nestled in my arms, and saw tears welling in his eyes. This was for his dad, and I knew it.

Closing Prayer:

Carolyn Thacker (Grandmother)

No comments:

Post a Comment