Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Old Fashioned Christmas-1895 One Roomed School House

I loved this. Every moment. I have times I truly feel like I was born in the wrong decade...or possibly century. Although I would like to keep the central heat and indoor plumbing.

When we walked in, they stove in the middle of the room radiated warmth, and the scent of the burning wood filled the room. Its a smell that immediately makes me feel comfortable and homey. We were greeted by the interpretor who wore a pin striped suit with a vest and bowler hat. He asked each of us to take seat at one the desks. He went over the classroom rules (and I think my younger ones were temporarily terrified); no speaking unless spoken to and sit properly in your chair with feet flat on the floor. We were sternly reminded that breaking the rules would result in a trip to the corner with a dunce hat decoration.

The interpretor goes over "expectations"

Ashlyn looks like she's contemplating escape.


 He went over how people attended school back then. He played and we sang "Jingle Bells" on the organ in the corner. We looked over a McGuffey reader. We made ribbon ornaments and folded fan ornaments from paper. The boys poked cloves into oranges and we enjoyed some wassail and peppermints.


The tree was charming and there were wooden boxes filled with gifts that were typical of the time period. 


1 comment: