Thursday, June 7, 2012

"Do or do not. There is no try..."

Okay, everyone...seriously EVERYONE, who has literally breathed on this planet and not been living under a rock should know that phrase.

If you don't...well...then you have no business being on my blog.

Begone I say!

Just kidding. Come back. I'll help you out a bit. 
Here's a hint :


So just to make sure we are all on the same page here (O ye under rock dwellers!), this line is from The Empire Strikes Back. Luke is under the tutelage of the minuscule yet remarkable Yoda. He's been working hard (or so he thinks), he thinks he's better then the task and is getting frustrated with Yoda's methods. They seem pointless to him. He feels like the little things Yoda asks him to do are beneath him and he wants to get to the meat of the situation and get this training started! Well, one day while training, Luke's frustrations boil over into anger when his starship airplane thingy is sucked under the muck of the swamp and seems gone forever. Yoda tell him to use the force and get it back. Luke "tries" and then because he lets his emotions overwhelm him loses focus (FYI, this is a continual problem with Luke)...he ultimately fails. Since he fails, he declares it is "impossible" then goes and sulks on a rock saying he's "trying". Yoda makes the clear and very relevant statement above. Then,while Luke sulks, little tiny Yoda reaches out his hand and does what Luke had already determined was impossible. 

So what, you may ask, does this have to do with learning to sing in the lifeboat?

Let me tell you. 

This little phrase came up as part of conversation with a rather wonderful friend of mine. We were talking about not being perfect. More specifically, I was lamenting how I make mistakes. I really don't want to make mistakes. I try not to make mistakes. But I do. And so often, I make the same ones over and over again. And I get frustrated with myself. Sometimes I even go sulk on a rock. 

My friend pointed out. "But you try."

I shrugged my shoulders. Yes. I guess. But "trying" for some reason, seems so passive. And noncommittal. Like the pre-planning stages of thinking about doing something.

That's when he brought up this phrase (I speak geek, so I caught it right away.)

"Maybe, its not just about the trying. Maybe its about doing. I think the right word is 'striving'."

He's pretty smart that one.

There was something wonderful about the thought, but I still wanted some clarification. I felt like it was on the edge of something very useful and applicable. So I did the only thing I could...I became cliche and looked the words up in the dictionary.

Turns out he was even smarter then I thought.

It turns out "trying" is an attempt. Another definition gives an interesting twist to the idea..."to taste." So trying is more of "tasting" change. Even though it is effort, the effects are intended to be very short term. Its very noncommittal. Its dipping your toe in to see if the water is the right temperature.

Striving, on the other hand, is "trying" taken to the next level. It turns out "striving" means to make great efforts to achieve or obtain something. AND to struggle or fight vigorously.
Now THAT's commitment. Its effort with vision and intent. Its jumping in all at once no matter how cold the water is. 

If what I want to see in my life is change (even the little ones that seem to be hovering around the edges), I have to commit to act with purpose and promise...I should be able to focus, letting my emotions (anger and frustration) slide away so I can accomplish my goal.

I may get that starship out of the swamp yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment