Thursday, June 7, 2012

What if I love him?

"Since it requires the extension of ourselves, love is always either work or courage. If an act is not one of work or courage, then it is not an act of love. There are no exceptions." 
M. Scott Peck





Maryn had been asked to babysit for this family in our ward with 2 little boys. This family is particularly special, because they have a 4 year old boy who is autistic, and they were just informed weeks ago that he has a very aggressive form of Muscular Dystrophy. The prognosis is that he will be wheel chair bound by the time he is 7, and leave this earth by the time he is 12. He is the sweetest, cutest little boy. His eyes are bright and he always has a smile. A spirit just emanates from him that is astonishing.

The night before the job, she came to me in my room. She was nervous. I thought maybe she was nervous about meeting his needs, or afraid she wouldn't know what to do. I counseled her to ask his mother detailed questions so she would have tools to manage any situation.

I was surprised when she responded "I'm not worried about THAT mom."

Me; "Oh. Well then what are you worried about?"

Her eyes filled with tears and she spoke softly. "What if I love him, mom? What if I love him, and then have to watch him die?"

My eyes also filled with tears.

I took her hands, "Sweetheart, it is never a waste to love somebody. People you love change who you are. And even if you only get to love them for a short time, it's worth it. Go ahead and love him. He's going to need people who love him."

Maryn has experienced first hand the pain of someone you love leaving you. She knows how it hurts. But I also knew that I never wanted her to go through life afraid to create relationships out of fear of pain. I hope she always has the courage to love.


No comments:

Post a Comment