Sunday, February 28, 2010

Fort Cameron

So yesterday (the 27th), I decided to do something constructive with my kids. Literally constructive.

We built a blanket and chair fort.

Okay I built a blanket and chair fort.

And I had fun.

Here are a few tips I learned.

1) Use whats in the space. I built the fort around the TV. One of the walls is the play kitchen set. I used a card table and just a few chairs.

2) Drape and Clip. So drape big thin blankets and sheets, then clothespin them into place. Perfectly tight and somewhat more stable then draping alone.

3) Add something fun...a secret entrance. I blocked off every available crevice with toys and blankets. Then I used our purple crawly tube thing and ran it along the back wall directly into the card table. Only they can get in and out. Which, of course, makes it uber cool.

4) Never underestimate the power of pillows as design elements when it comes to tent forts.

Here is the finsihed product form the exterior.
And a view from the purple crawly tube thing.
Interior view. Feet optional, but I felt it added a personal touch.

They have spent hours and hours in the fort. What is it about blankets and chairs that makes everything more interesting under them?
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Great idea, I can tell they love it too.. You are socreative and such a great mom..Thanks for the call this morning... I needed it too.. I love you.. BTW I am totally stealing your idea and doing it with Sarah...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Chiara. How do you find the time to be a fun mom?! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete