Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Walking with a tassel on...

I don't do this very often...but I want to brag a little about myself.
Shortly after Dave died, I decided I needed to create a life for me and for my kids looking into our future with me as the only provider. So I decided to go back to school. I had completed 39.5 hours of credit before I got married. Choosing what I wanted to learn about was a process, as was determining where I would attend since I was definitely limited by location. After trying BYU long distance learning options, and finding out I was 1/2 credit shy of qualifying for the program, I chose University of Phoenix and majored in Psychology. After finishing that degree, I decided to continue with a Masters degree as well. It was a good choice. But it has been nearly 7 years of continuous work to get there.

And I did it! I did it while working and raising kids and still maintained a 3.5 GPA.

Here it is...the $60,000 piece of paper.


So my sweet, sweet Grandma Downs decided she was also proud of me, and that something like that is worth celebrating. And she put together a little party for me. So many people I love and am grateful to have in my life were there. All my aunts who live here and their families. My dad's brother and his wife. Grandparents. Siblings. Friends I've known for 24 years, and friends I've known for only a few months. Cousins and first cousins once removed. Dave's parents and his brother and some of his family. It was amazing. And I felt very, very loved. And a little embarrassed at the attention. But mostly loved.


My grandmother borrowed Garrett's graduation cap and tassel and had everyone sing Pomp and Circumstance while I walked across the room. So I did get to "walk" even though my alma mater is in Minnesota.

My wonderful sister in law Mandy made this neat little "card" and everyone signed it. 
It was really wonderful.




No comments:

Post a Comment