Monday, March 4, 2013

Lingering


A few times a month I take a turn delivering meals to seniors for lunch. Our office has a route, and I share the privilege of visiting with 13 lovely people every other Friday with a coworker. 
I have to confess that usually I am in a hurry. I try to be quick and efficient in carrying out my assignment while be still being warm and friendly. Most of the times I am in and out in 20 minutes or so.

Last Friday was no exception. I hustled through the first part of my list; pleasant but concise in carrying out my designated duties.
And then I reached the next to last stop on my list. Lynda. We had always exchanged brief pleasantries when I came, and one time she had shown me pictures of her family. Today however, as I placed her meal on the counter, I took particular notice of a piano sitting in the middle of her apartment and felt moved to ask her more about it.


“Do you play?” I asked.
“Sometimes,” she responded. “Not as much as I used to.”
“Do you mind if I do?”
“No. Go right ahead!”
I sat down on the bench and opened the lid. I chose a pretty and familiar song, “Fur Elise”. She sat in a comfy chair behind me and laid back with a smile.
“Ah,” she sighed. “You have exactly 20 minutes to stop that.”
I smiled as well. Something pushed me to ask another question.
“Do you sing?” I queried again. “Maybe you’d like to sing some hymns?”
“I do sing!”
“What part?”
“Alto.”
“Well, if you pick your favorite hymn, I’ll play and sing soprano. And you can harmonize.”
We sang several together…”All Creatures of Our God and Kind”, “Our Savior’s Love” and some others I can’t recall, but all with great alto lines. I can appreciate that.
 We ended with “Where Can I Turn for Peace”.
“This song is kind of a life story for me.” She said.
We started. I was enjoying it as much as she was…singing with someone. Harmonizing. Making music. As we finished the final verse, her voice trailed off. I finished the last notes on my own “Constant He is, and kind. Love without end.”
I turned toward her after I lifted my hands from the keys. Her eyes were closed and tears were streaming down her face.
“Thank you.” She whispered. “I needed that today.”
We talked for a bit longer… about discouragement, about peace, about waiting, about accepting.
And then I said my goodbyes and hugged her as I walked out the door.
I am so grateful that I listened well enough to hear the spirit tell me stop and linger a little longer with her.
 I needed that today too.

No comments:

Post a Comment