Sunday, October 4, 2015

Yellowstone Part 2 - Mt. Washburn and Mammoth Hot Springs

So the first big full day in Yellowstone, we split up. Tamra wanted to do this major hike I wanted nothing to do with. Maryn wanted to do it too. But I also knew Conner and Ashlyn would whine about it if they went along, so I took them to Mammoth Hot Springs.

Here are the pics Maryn took of her Mt. Washburn hike.
Mountain wild flowers

The view from the top

Now me, I am all about the story of people who interact with the world; how they change it and it changes them. So I was thrilled to do a quick walking tour of Fort Yellowstone... established over 100 years ago when the army came to help protect the new, wild and precious national park. It was such a new concept, that no one really understood what it meant to protect and preserve something... people took pieces rock and threw trash in the springs. And there was poaching. So they sent the army, and eventually left behind a small group that established today's National Park Rangers.
The church at Fort Yellowstone

An elk enjoying a snack on the lawn of the fort. The homes are now occupied by rangers and their families.

Conner and Ashlyn and I then went and enjoyed the beautiful site of Mammoth Hot Springs. The walks out onto the walks were enough to make them whine about distance, and it was about a mile. I didn't regret not sending them even one bit.




We met back up in the canyon area and went to see the falls after eating a quick dinner in the cafeteria.


No comments:

Post a Comment