Friday, May 8, 2009

The (not so) electric slide...

So, we got home today from running errands to discover we had no electricity. When I called the power company to tell them, they said there were a whole bunch of houses out in our area due to a transmitter (I think) that belonged to Dayton Power and Light. So we were at their mercy. So I started to think about what we could do for the undetermined amount of time until we had power again. First, I thought we should have lunch and the kids wanted mac n'cheese. No can do. So we had cereal and sandwiches. I wanted tuna but couldn't find a manual can opener. Then we tried to think of things to do that were hopefully productive. I had homework or needed to post some stuff on our website. Oh wait, no internet. I couldn't start making supper, no stove or oven. Conner wanted to watcha  movie or playa video game. Not so much. We couldn't even technically go the bathroom or wash our hands because of lack of a water pump. 

Gratefully, the power came back on within the hour. And I learned a valuable lesson. I am completely dependent on electricity. For better or worse, that's the way it is. 

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it's good to have the small "emergencies" hit, to remind us not only how dependent we are on things out of our control, but to help us focus on how to be more prepared.

    ReplyDelete