Saturday, May 9, 2009

This is dedicated to the son I love...

So, this is in honor of my oldest son who is now officially 14! At first, I wanted to try and think of 14 of my favorite memories of him, and write them all out. But the funny thing was, I couldn’t think of 14 individual and distinct memories. His life in my head is kind of a conglomeration of images and feelings that combine to act as an explanation of how I feel about him today.  Then this morning, I was going through some stuff and found a ton of pictures. I couldn’t help it, I started looking at them...all. Many of the pictures had my oldest son in it. That was back when I had time to snap pictures. Ashlyn wanted to know where her pictures were. Poor girl, there just aren’t as many.

But here is a tour of my son’s life in pictures.

 This is the most recent photo taken during this past season of Basketball. He wasn't really good, but his coach praised him for his incomparable dedication and attitude.(Jan. 2009)


This was taken the day of Dave's funeral and burial in Utah. I love how he's holding his sister. He's a very good big brother and loves kids, especially babies! (Feb. 2006)

This one was taken the day he was baptized. I remember him coming out of the restroom after changing into his white clothes and proclaiming "I feel like and angel!" He was so happy to be making this choice. I felt very proud of his decision. (May 2003)
This is me getting a little smooch from the "other man" in my life the day I married Dave. Paul was 4. This is one of my favorite pictures. He has always been a "mama's boy" in a good way. He's often very considerate of my feelings and asks how he can help me. (July 1999)
Super Garret and Mickey-Bat-Bug's Life Boy to the rescue! 
Garrett and Paul shared a room when I lived with my parents after his dad and I divorced. They've been close ever since. I think Paul was the little brother Garrett never got and Garrett was the big brother Paul wished he had.(Dec. 1998) 
I love this picture too. One is because I look younger and thinner (that was 14 years,3 kids and two marriages ago...snap!), but also because its the only five generation picture we were able to get. I'm holding Paul (about 6 months old) standing next to my Dad. Seated (from the right) is my father's mother Nadine Thacker. The lovely lady on the left is her mother, Kezia Baxter who passed away at the age of 93, just 4 years later. 
And here is where it all began. Paul is only a week old. He was the only child I actually got to expereince labor with. 27 hours of labor, actually. Thanks son. But he was in distress the last 10 hours or so, before they decided to bring him into this world via c-section. I remember holding him for the first time (it was several hours after he was born...they gave me some serious drugs), and how I felt. I wondered how you could fall in love with someone so fast. But I already knew him I suppose...you get feelings about someone when you play personal incubator for 9 months. I am grateful everyday he is my son, and revel in the joy of getting to know him more as he ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment